26 January 2012

Writing to Reach You


 It's just occurred to me today while uttering the words 'oh yeah I made a book' that I haven't written about my biggest achievement to date which, now that I think about it, seems almost crazy.  Maybe it's because it feels like a lifetime ago (well 2 years) and I almost forgot or maybe it's because it was such painstaking, labour of love that my brain won't allow me to revisit it very often!  Either way I thought I would share it with you...  The book is called 'Writing to Reach You' and it is a photographic drugs educational resource, aimed at raising awareness of the issues surrounding recreational and problematic drug use.  The book doesn't have a specific age range, and it was produced like a glossy coffee-table book so that readers would engage with it more so than if it was typically educational.  

The whole process was a real journey for me, I heard and saw things that lived with me for a long time, things that made me cry with sadness and with pride and things that change my opinion of drug users quite dramatically.  I worked with a small group of very talented young people (aged 14-17) to help produce this book and I know they got as much out of this project as I did.

The stories inside the book are personal, honest, real-life letters written by people who have been affected by drug use.  It took real courage and trust to share such personal information, but they did so knowing that ultimately they would be used positively and for the benefit of others.  I am forever grateful to those who took part in this project because without their insight, this book would never have been possible.

Here are some of the photographs from the book and some sneak peaks of the inside contents... if you'd like to see the book in full you can view it online here or if you would like more information just get in touch!


Taken from a 'Brother's Story'





Taken from 'A Sister's Story'& 'A Prison Story'


this was taken inside the visiting room at Perth Prison


Taken from 'A Clubber's Story'


Lomo fisheye was used for these shots


Taken from 'A Mother's Story, 'Facts from a Needle Exchange'



Taken from 'A Story of Misdiagnosis'


This photo became the front cover!


hope you like them!
x


2 comments:

  1. wow, I read the stories to... powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Declan, if you ever want to borrow the book just ask!

    ReplyDelete